Saturday, August 30, 2014

The Winds of Change Are With Us


Come gather 'round people
Wedding Day 1977
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown

Bob Dylan

There are periods of life when things appear to be finished.  I feel like the last new era has dawned and is destined to go on forever. I think to myself, my time has finally arrived and "this is it!"

There was the 70's.  A period of time when the college years were left behind and I moved into the era of youthful early career.  I was one of the "fair haired boys full of dreams and promise."  I thought to myself "Hey, it is always going to be this way, isn't it?"  

The 80's approached and I found love and there was a wedding and babies.  I would always be a young father and "why wouldn't I think that?" 

I ushered in the 90's and the pace picked up.  The kids were in school and I had a home to keep up.  And oh yes there were bills to pay.  I thought, "now this is the real stage of life that will not end." Of course it ended and the truth that  I was beginning to see was that each stage simply moves faster than the last. Each bringing things I never thought possible in the previous one. 

Now I am older and find myself in a late stage of life among the silver eagles.  I ask myself, "How did I ever become a 65 year old man with Parkinson's?"  There is no answer to that question, so I decide it best to leave it behind and move ahead.  Parkinson's is a disease that has threatened to take away from life as it moves ahead at its insidious pace.

I want this to be a message of hope and I believe that the "Times They Are a Changin".  These changes are being ushered in by fair winds that promise to help many.  Medicine is moving alongside Parkinson's at a pace not dreamed of just a few years back.  Browse the links I have included and I hope you, as I have, will find encouragement.  These are links to only a small sample of an explosion of new information being discovered about Parkinson's and shared instantly by way of the personal computer.

And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone.
If your time to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'.

Come writers and critics                     
Who prophesize with your pen
And keep your eyes wide
The chance won't come again

Don't speak too soon
For the wheel's still in spin
And there's no tellin' who
That it's namin'

Read more: Bob Dylan - The Times They Are A-changin' Lyrics | MetroLyrics 
From Bob Dylan "The Times They Are A-changin"

Still Shaky in Coupeville



Phase 1 trials in this Fox foundation funded study were intended to ramp up the body's own defenses against the damaging effects of alpha synuclein.

Bilateral subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation (STN-DBS) has been shown to improve motor function, motor fluctuations, health-related quality of life, and to reduce medication usage and drug-induced dyskinesia in patients with severe PD refractory to medical therapy.

Intel Corp plans to use wearable gadgets such as smart watches to monitor patients with Parkinson's disease and collect data that can be shared with researchers.

Researchers from the Florida campus of the Scripps Institute have found a dual-inhibitor compound expected to counter Parkinson's in 2 separate ways simultaneously. 

Both acupuncture and bee venom acupuncture showed promising results in improving symptoms among patients with Parkinson's disease in a small new study.

Regular brisk walking helps Parkinson's patients make strides
Regular brisk walking may improve motor function, mood, tiredness, and fitness in patients with mild-to-moderate Parkinson's disease, a new study suggests.

1 comment:


  1. My dad was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech,degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 46 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he was having trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,i recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who also needs help.

    ReplyDelete