Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Catching The Frisbees of Life



....Should we accept only good things from the hand of God and never anything bad?...
From Job 2




I launched the Frisbee with a quick backhanded toss from my right hand.  At first the Frisbee flew a flat and somewhat rising trajectory to my right.  Juney eagerly retrieved it with typical Lab enthusiasm.  I tossed it many times but I could not get it to hold a level  flight long enough for Juney to catch up with it in the air.  Juney is our middle daughter and family’s black lab who has stayed with us this past week.  She is a lovely dog and is a people pleaser.  I am reconciling my advancing age with declining ability physically to throw a Frisbee.

Advancing age or not it is still a delight to throw a Frisbee to a Labrador after more than 40 years. Then it was with my brother’s black Lab, Tuco, who lived with myself and my brother in the Fall of 1970.  We were going too school at Washington State and lived together in a small basement apartment adjacent to Mcgee Park in Pullman, Washington.  I was young, Tuco was young and my brother was a young veteran of the Vietnam war.  My brother had lived through great pain by way of this terrifying curve called Vietnam. No such hard curves for me,  God was spinning perfectly thrown Frisbees my way.  I thought that was the way things would always be.

If my life was a picture book I would flip through pages and remind myself of all of the good things that have been sent my way.  I might come first to a picture of my wife.  At this I would pause for a while and think about what a miracle it was that I even met this wonderful girl from upstate New York: 

You know how it is: you’re twenty-one or twenty-two and you make some decisions; then whisssh! you’re seventy: you’ve been a lawyer for fifty years, and that white-haired lady at your side has eaten over fifty thousand meals with you.
From Our Town by Thornton Wilder


From our marriage came the most wonderful pieces of my life, three children.  Two girls and a boy, they are still young, married and are working hard to make their way in this world.  And yet they are no longer here most of the time and my wife and I have only smaller roles in their lives. 

There are no free passes in life and if I ever had one, it was revoked when the neurologist at the University of Washington told me I had Parkinson’s disease.  I had no clear idea of what living with a chronic degenerative disease would be like. Even less clear were what changes  mentally and physically that would come to roost and never leave.

I was about to learn what it is like to take prescription drugs daily for a long time.  I was about feel what it is like personally to balance intended drug effects with unintended effects or side effects.  I was about understand what all of my pharmacy customers already understood.  Taking drugs on the long term is an arduous, and difficult task that requires much effort and expense.

And yet there is reason to hope, given the scientific advances with Parkinson’s. The list of medications available to treat PD since I entered pharmacy in the 1970’s has risen sharply and is worth noting. Startling success has been achieved with DBS or deep brain surgery.  A story came across the internet this past week about a young woman with early onset Parkinson's who has recently ran a full marathon after receiving the surgery.  Not a cure but a procedure that can provide relief for many and often for a long time.  Still it is not a procedure to be taken lightly and does not cure while it apparently does a very good job of treating some of the symptoms.

In that Fall of 1970 I would rush back to our tiny apartment somewhere between my early classes.  I unlocked the door and Tuco would come bounding out bursting with Labrador strength.  With Frisbee in hand I stepped out to the park and dog and I would start our game.  With a quick flip of my wrist I could send a Frisbee straight and true halfway across the park.  It finished with a hover and was plucked from the air in perfect timing by a leaping 2 year old Lab. a crowd of students soon gathered and clapped and cheered every catch. Those days were a true gift followed by many more.  Now, long after Tuco has gone. It is my turn to retrieve the Frisbees thrown my way by God.  Both the good and bad.

1 comment:

  1. i was diagnosed of parkinson disease 5 years ago,i started azilect,then mirapex as the disease progressed in february last year,and i started on parkinson disease Herbal medicine from ultimate herbal home,few months into the treatment i made a significant recovery,almost all my symptoms are gone,great improvement with my movement and balance,it been a year and life has been so good for me,contact them at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete