Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Wind Storm

Forecast: 1/10/2014

* Wind... southeast wind 25 to 40 mph with gusts to 60 mph are 
forecast to occur tonight. The winds will shift to westerly 
Saturday afternoon and could reach 25 to 40 mph with gusts to 
60 mph late Saturday afternoon and night. 

* Impacts... downed trees and power outages are likely


I awoke to the beep the electric smoke detector makes when the power goes off.  I thought that a flash of light had also lit up the room but now I am not certain of it. There was complete darkness with the the power out but not silence.  My ears were assailed with the roar produced by a strong wind running through the fir trees that surround our house. The loss of power in a windstorm on Whidbey Island is not unusual.  The wind separates branches from tall evergreen trees and sends them flying into power lines.  A windstorm of this magnitude with gusts pushing close to 60 will frequently cause our power to go down.

Carolyn had awakened as well and noticed that Bella, our yellow dog, was not in her bed. Bella is frightened by windstorms and usually attempts to climb in bed with us, however tonight she had gone downstairs and wanted out. Carolyn slipped out of bed, put on her robe and went downstairs to tend to her. 

I lay motionless except for the twitching of my tremors and listened to the storm rage outside. Frequent gusts pushed it to a higher pitched sound accompanied by a spraying of the roof with debris from the trees.

Doug Firs near the North end of our house
Soon I could hear Bella breathing rapidly and the sound of her paws on the stairs as she and Carolyn returned guided by flashlight. Carolyn moved Bella's bed closer to ours and then got back into our bed.  She continued to pet and gently sooth Bella. 

 The weather forecast had predicted this storm and I had prepared for it. I purchased additional batteries and checked to make certain that my flashlights were ready.  I had split and brought in plenty of wood so that power out or not, the house would be warm. In spite of such preparation, a wind storm makes me uneasy, making any effort to return to sleep kind of tough.  I lay in bed and wonder whether the big Doug Firs near the North end of our house will stand another storm or this time will they give up and come crashing through the roof?

I sensed the change in Carolyn's breathing as she returned to sleep. Bella's unease continued and so did mine. 

Now the howling wind outside induced a disturbing sense of loneliness.  My mind drifted and I wondered about friends who had long ago been an important part of my life but now I do not even know where they are.  Whether they are alive or dead. I thought of my cousin Larry who passed away just a few days ago. Little more than a year ago at a family reunion he had stood like a majestic tree surrounded by his beautiful family.  Now, the storm of cancer has taken him from this life on earth. Even as I believe that death is not the end a deep sense of sadness enveloped me.

I listened for any change in the intensity of the storm and determined a perceptible decrease in intensity had occurred. I repositioned Bella's bed and put her closer to me. I am not certain which of us soothed the other the most. 

Then the smoke detector beeped and the night light blinked on. Our power was back! This positive sign lifted my spirit a from the gloom and I slipped out of bed pulled on my robe and carefully made my way downstairs. I celebrated the return of our power with a glass of water and gave Bella, who had faithfully followed me down, a piece of string cheese.

Good night!


1 comment:

  1. i was diagnosed of parkinson disease 5 years ago,i started azilect,then mirapex as the disease progressed in february last year,and i started on parkinson disease Herbal medicine from ultimate herbal home,few months into the treatment i made a significant recovery,almost all my symptoms are gone,great improvement with my movement and balance,it been a year and life has been so good for me,contact them at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete