Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Shaky days

Today has been a difficult day.  The tremors are raging in both arms in spite of a second dose of carbidopa/levodopa. Earlier I went fishing for salmon along the Whidbey shoreline just a short drive from home.  I thought it might be the thing to relax and settle my body down. So Carolyn drove me. She intended to catch up on some reading while I stood on the beach and cast and retrieved for salmon.  The rhythm of fishing brought no relief and little satisfaction.  The worse than usual pounding away of the tremor persisted while I retrieved my line.  Oh well the water was too weedy anyway.  It was really no surprise since fishing really does not settle my tremors. I do get some mental rest by way of being there.

I also believe  that my inability to get a decent night’s sleep is and has been a factor on days like this and that there is a real sleep deficit that is catching up with me. Sleep deficit equals worse tremors.  Clonazepam is often prescribed for early awakening with Parkinson’s and it was offered on my last neurology visit after I described my difficulty.  I refused it.  Now I am second guessing myself.  At the time I declined knowing that it is a close relative of Valium or diazepam and that it is extremely long acting.  Which means that when you take it at bedtime you then have it both night and day.  I think I have enough drugs hammering away at my brains and one more may just be more than enough.  Sleeping preparations of any variety may be habit forming and generally for that reason are usually not taken continuously.  They are also known to lose their effectiveness if taken daily.  And yet clonazepam is its own substance and I would be glad to hear from any of you who have experience with it.

Rest is certainly considered important in Parkinson’s and for that reason naps are said to a good thing.  Hey, I am only 64 and a nap does not want to fit.  But then again if it helps?

I think I’ll lay down for a while. 

Shaky John

3 comments:

  1. My husband was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure ultimate health home, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimatehealthhome they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com to anyone who needs help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure ultimate health home, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimatehealthhome they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com to anyone who needs help.

    ReplyDelete

  3. My dad was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech,degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 46 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he was having trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,i recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who also needs help.

    ReplyDelete